by clicking the arrows at the side of the page, or by using the toolbar.
by clicking anywhere on the page.
by dragging the page around when zoomed in.
by clicking anywhere on the page when zoomed in.
web sites or send emails by clicking on hyperlinks.
Email this page to a friend
Search this issue
Index - jump to page or section
Archive - view past issues
Expat Investor : March April 2009
EXPAT HEALTH You’re covered – what could possibly go wrong? Medicare presents Expat Investor readers with this salutary tale for gap year travellers who explore the world under-insured. insurance provider, he was told that the policy stated that customers were only covered for scooter accidents if they held a full UK motorbike licence and were wearing a crash helmet. Although James was wearing a crash helmet, he did not have a full UK motorcycle licence, even though he did have a full UK car licence which allowed him to ride motorcycles. The result was that his insurer was unable to deliver the medical care he needed locally and so it suggested its own repatriation service at a cost of £85,000. James’ father refused this offer and ended up having to spend £25,000 of his own money bringing his son home from a remote village in Vietnam. The Consumer Action Group believes that this piece of information should have been included in the key facts booklet which accompanied the policy, particularly in relation to policies designed for gap year students. David Pryor, Senior Executive When booking a holiday or gap year abroad, travel insurance is often not at the forefront of young people’s minds, and with the proliferation of websites and well- known high street companies selling policies underwritten by insurers, it’s hard to see what you’re buying sometimes. Add to that the fact that call centres and websites do not always make it clear what you are getting for your money and the result is that many people are shocked to find out just how little they are covered when it does come to making a claim. A recent Internet poll conducted by Medicare International asked those planning to take out a policy whether their main focus was on valuables rather than healthcare. Just under 20% of those polled said that valuables were their first consideration when buying travel insurance, with the remaining 80% putting healthcare as their number one priority, suggesting that healthcare is certainly on people’s radars for this critically important purchase. Healthcare is potentially the most dangerous and expensive thing that could go wrong in a gap year. When accidents do happen, the consequences can and frequently are catastrophic in terms of the outlay needed to cover medical bills and evacuation or repatriation to the UK. Take James Pinnington, for example. Setting off on his gap year earlier this year, he bought a High Street-sourced Gap Year Travel Insurance policy, feeling safe in the knowledge that such a brand would give him comprehensive coverage in most situations. In May this year, after arriving in Vietnam, like many young gap year students, he hired a scooter. Shortly afterwards, James unfortunately came off his bike and broke both his legs in a very nasty accident. As a result, he needed a wide range of specialist emergency medical care which he thought would be provided via his policy. After checking with his Director, Medicare International, says, “James Pinnington’s case does not surprise us. There are so many travel policies which claim to include healthcare in the market today. “These hybrid policies are quick and easy to purchase and very often few people read the small print. Our view is that gap year students might be better served avoiding hybrid policies by buying specialist medical insurance and keeping travel and possessions cover separate. Healthcare claims have the potential to spiral out of control in a manner which travel and possessions costs simply do not. “At Medicare International we pride ourselves in giving our customers the best possible cover and care. Even though it costs more initially, should there be any kind of accident or illness, our customers can rest assured that everything will be taken care of.” Is your international medical insurance this well connected? 12 EXPAT INVESTOR ? March/April 2009 expatinvestor.com Access to our network of 5,500 independent medical centres, or treatment in any recognised hospital of your choice, anywhere. Bupa International Healthcare. Everywhere. +44 (0) 1273 718 304 www.bupa-intl.com
January February 2009
May June 2009