by clicking the arrows at the side of the page, or by using the toolbar.
by clicking anywhere on the page.
by dragging the page around when zoomed in.
by clicking anywhere on the page when zoomed in.
web sites or send emails by clicking on hyperlinks.
Email this page to a friend
Search this issue
Index - jump to page or section
Archive - view past issues
FLEXO Magazine : May 2011
FTA TODAY Formally identifying flexography ’s finest work isn’t easy. The 39 judges of Flexographic Technical Association’s 2011 Excellence in Flexography Awards competition took nearly 3 days to evaluate 620 print samples for their degree of difficulty and level of execution. They deemed 146 worthy of recognition and awarded 35 medals in narrow web (a high for its category), 25 in wide web, 15 in graphic design, 15 in envelope, 12 in mid web, 11 in combined corrugated, 10 in preprint, 9 in students, 6 in napkins, 4 in paperboard, 2 in newspaper and 2 in self-promotion. Gold medals comprised 39 percent of the awards, with silver accounting for 34 percent and bronze 27 percent. Familiar names adorned the boxes, cartons, containers, labels, envelopes, pouches and other forms of packaging under review in the amphitheater and brand-speak filled the air, making it clear that leading consumer product companies embrace flexo in large numbers. Counted among the advo- cates: Miller, Coors, Dial, Enfamel, TyalorMade, O ’Lay, Oak Hill, Yankee Candle, Tide, Nature’s Recipe, Kaytee, Downy, Kingsford, NutriSystem, Biore, Doritos, Cape Cod, Godiva, Degree, Huggies, Cattlemen’s, Nestle, Nissan, Moosehead Lager, American Express and Volvo. For a complete list of award-winning firms, see “The Winners’ Circle,” on page 19. In the end, the following entries stood apart from the rest, capturing the highly coveted “Best of Show ” in their respec- tive classes: • Publisher ’s Printing Co. for the Autumn 2010 cover of Alpinist 32. • Sunshine Plastics Corp. for Midnight Indulgence Choco- late Fondue Wrapper. • Cellotape Inc. for Syntax Spirits Vodka Label. • Encore Envelopes, Ltd. for Harry Potter Envelope. • Label Technology Inc. for John Frieda Frizz Ease Over- night Repair Packette. • Lewisburg Container Co. for Duracel My Grid Charge Pad for Cell Phones. • SCI for Crisco Pure Peanut Oil. • Clemson University for The Phoenix Label. • GOLDENera Group for Kellogg’s All Bran. PACKAGING’s PACEsETTER Judges’ comments proved enlightening. Many drew paral- lels to FFTA’s 2011 Annual Forum theme, Setting the Pace for Packaging Excellence, and declared that the print samples they evaluated are a testament to exceptional packaging and flexography as its print production process. 2011 EXCELLENCE IN FLEXOGRAPHY % GOLD MEDALS BY CATEGORY Wide Web 17% Narrow Web 22% Mid Web 14% Napkins 1% Paper Board 1% Combined Corrugated 7% Preprint 5% Envelope 10% Students 5% Newspaper 1% Graphic Design 17% 2011 EXCELLENCE IN FLEXOGRAPHY % SILVER MEDALS BY CATEGORY Wide Web 17% Narrow Web 24% Mid Web 2% Napkins 6% Paper Board 4% Combined Corrugated 8% Preprint 6% Envelope 9% Students 6% Newspaper 2% Graphic Design 16% 2011 EXCELLENCE IN FLEXOGRAPHY % BRONZE MEDALS BY CATEGORY Wide Web 15% Narrow Web 22% Mid Web 7% Napkins 5% Paper Board 2% Combined Corrugated 7% Preprint 10% Envelope 10% Students 7% Newspaper 0% Graphic Design 15% Printers Pushing Limits FTA Excellence in Flexography Awards Recapped By Robert Moran www.flexography.org MAY 2011 FLEXO 11
Sustainable Spring 2011