by clicking the arrows at the side of the page, or by using the toolbar.
by clicking anywhere on the page.
by dragging the page around when zoomed in.
by clicking anywhere on the page when zoomed in.
web sites or send emails by clicking on hyperlinks.
Email this page to a friend
Search this issue
Index - jump to page or section
Archive - view past issues
FLEXO Magazine : February 2013
LABEL-PAK: Greater Efficiences, Higher Capacity, Larger Revenues Located in Wavre, Belgium, 70 percent of Label-Pak’s work is done for food products, and the other 30 percent an assort- ment of cosmetics, toiletries, and chemicals. The company operates flexo and offset presses in-house, along with offering other printing from its partner, Concordia. Label-Pak contributed a label that was printed in both flexo and offset. What has held flexo back, seemingly forever, is its inability to print highlights and fade to zero. While this is one of offset’s strengths, with HD Flexo and from an arm’s length viewing distance, this sample is equivalent to offset. When shown flexo, print buyers consider the quality every bit as good. We no longer need loupes. The sample at left shows equivalent type quality, and an ability for the flexo highlight to fade out behind the type. Label-Pak is extremely encouraged by its flexo work and identified 2012 company initiatives. It expected to optimize its UV flexo by improving prepress, platemaking and presswork. The company added high definition flexo (Esko HD Flexo) and expected its differential modulated screening to help both highlights and shadows. It also expected to compete more effectively with digital by improving productivity using sleeves to set up a six-color job in 10 minutes. The faster a job can be put on press, the less upfront costs are encountered, making flexo a much more cost-effective means of printing in lower quantity work. By the end of the year, these objectives were met. In fact, Label-Pak removed its offset press from its facility at the end of December. Everything is now printed on high definition flexo. Even short-run jobs are cost-effective. It is winning more bids and, with sleeves, press downtime is only 25-50 minutes between jobs. The company only wastes 100-500 feet of sub- strate during makereadies. Greater efficiencies in flexo have offered 30-40 percent additional capacity. Label-Pak is in the process of adding a finishing line to support its presses. Working with an outside partner for digital work, it is researching the possibility of bringing this capability in-house for one or two-roll label jobs. Work is being completed faster and more smoothly with HD flexo. The company is very happy with the cost and quality of the work. Extra capacity to perform better work has resulted in additional revenues. AMERICAN PACKAGING: Trials Support trade Offs From its three locations in Columbus, WI, Story City, IA, and Rochester, NY, American Packaging offers flexo and gravure printing from a number of presses. When a potential customer needed packaging cost-sav- ings. American Packaging ran gravure and flexo trials to see what made sense between cost-effective and quality trade- offs. In this job, the customer decided to work in flexo, be- cause it could swap any minor change in quality for greater cost efficiencies. American Packaging’s gravure and flexo plants often col- laborate in this way, helping to determine which print process is best for any particular project. In some cases, gravure is found to be the better choice, whether it is cost-effective for long runs, or if there are specific graphics that lend them- selves to one process or the other. While not identical, the company offered very similar samples printed for Bertolli; one printed on a gravure press and the other from a flexo press. The customer considered the overall look of the flexo work superior, and particularly appreciated the economics. In fact, a major print buyer tested flexo side-by-side with gravure. 62 FLEXO february 2013 www.flexography.org OffSeT (Magnified) fLeXO (Magnified)